Monday, July 2, 2007

Update on My Internship

So for the past month I have been a full-time employee of the City of Grand Forks. I was really nervous before I started, because I didn't want to hate it and be confused about my major (and the past three years I have just spent trying to get to where I am). Well turns out I LOVE my job! I actually got passed up for the first internship opportunity in this department, but I couldn't be happier now when I see what the other intern is working on versus myself. I was originally told that I would be working on a "downtown parking issue," but so far I have done way more than just that project! My first day I worked on researching the downtown parking in Grand Forks. By the second day I was going to meetings down at the mayor's office for a neighborhood project. I have gone to a bunch of meetings, and have had the opportunity to meet a lot of new people. I love meeting new people, and these days great jobs are all about networking and who you know! I would much rather be out and about meeting new people than sitting around reading about one issue, like the other intern. I am currently working on about 5 or 6 different projects, and I honestly couldn't be happier. Then this last Friday the director comes into my office, and tells me that he's very impressed by me thusfar. He goes on about how I am taking on many more duties than most interns do, and I resemble more of a city employee than any other intern. He says that when I'm done with my internship, I will have more experience working in a city government than any other intern that has worked with this department. He also says that he would hire me in a minute, and he's not sure what I will be doing after this summer and after school, but he'd be very interested in hiring me for a permanent position in this department. He did tell me that he can't promise anything, because it's the city government and, ultimately, doesnt have the final say in the matter, but he will work hard to do what he can. Either way, it was a HUGE confidence booster, and I was just beaming all day! I am very proud that someone notices the hard work that I put in! It's really nice to be noticed and appreciated!

So now to the question...what do I want to do after I graduate? Well this is a question that I have been pondering a lot lately. If you were to ask me this a year ago, I could've, without hesitation, told you that I would be looking for a job back towards home. Now, I'm not so sure. I am sure that I do want to settle into a small town...eventually, and that I want that small town to be close to me parents and friends and family...eventually. But what if it's not such a bad idea to get a few years under my belt here? Grand Forks is a booming city, and I really enjoy the department that I am working in now. If I were to take this job, then I don't have to stress about not being able to find a job once I graduate. Josh and I have really been talking about this a lot lately. He thinks it's a great idea to stay for a few more years. This way we both can have a few years experience. He is hoping to climb up the ladder a bit to a supervisory position, so that when we eventually move, there will be more opportunities for him as well. He also has been thinking about going back to school. He has a year under his belt from Alexandria for engineering/drafting. There are a lot of job opporunities for that kind of work right now, and I really have been pushing for him to go back to school. He just isn't sure he wants a desk job. WOW this is a long blog!! I'll stop for now....

No comments: