Tuesday, August 7, 2007

NOT such a small tragedy

First of all, I want to say how completely sorry I am for everyone involved or affected by the collapse of 35W in the Twin Cities. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. I want to next say that I am very sad that some people are getting flustered with the fact that the national media paid "too much" attention to this issue. I've heard (and read) many people who think that the media shouldn't have covered this issue so extensively because it was nothing like what happened on 9/11. I couldn't agree more, the two situations are uncomparable. One involved terrorists trying to impact the entire country by taking many lives in the heart of our country. The tragedy that took place last Wednesday was a terrible disaster, which no one intended to happen. I am sick of people saying that this was JUST a small city tragedy, and didn't deserve national coverage. Well I am glad that it received national attention. Maybe this will help open other doors for municipal governments to double check and NOT overlook such situations. This was not a small tragedy that was exasperated by the media, this bridge was one of the main accessways in the cities. Anyone who tries to clear their consciencousness by downplaying this disaster is completely mistaken. I believe that the country should just come together and show support for the families that were affected by this.

No comments: