Tuesday, October 23, 2007

My future

Obviously with the upcoming graduation in December nearing, I have been thinking more and ore about my future. I have sent out a handful of resumes and cover letters, and I've heard back from some and not others. Mainly I have been trying to take what I am learning at my internship and apply it to the "real world." Everyday I come here, I learn more and more. I know that, someday, I want to be the "big shot" in an organization (public or private), but have realized that there is a lot to still learn. While thinking about that, I had been looking more seriously into Graduate School. I always knew that eventually I would want to go back to get my Masters degree, but I didn't want to do it right after school. I wanted to get some experience, and then go back. After looking at some of the classes offered for a Graduate degree in Public Administration, I decided that it would be very beneficial to continue my education now. I think right now is a good time--I'm not really grounded. In a few years, it will be harder to pick things up and go back to school. Besides, I like my school, program, and professors so much that I want to do it in Grand Forks. Josh told me...even before I started thinking about grad school...that he wanted to stay in the area for awhile longer because things are going well for him at his job. So I think it's the perfect time.

So now I applied, got 3 recommendations, and next Friday I will take the Graduate Records Exam in Fargo. I have been studying a little bit, but I guess I have three other school tests next week! So next week will be a little bit stressful. I was really nervous for the test, because I am not the greatest at standardized tests, but one of the professors that I talked to in my program said that it's a small factor in determining whether or not a student gets into grad school. I feel a little bit better, but I still want to do well. The test is computerized, which will be nice because I will be able to see my score right away for all of the sections except for the essay portion. That will help ease my anxiety. After that, I just have to wait for the scores to be mailed to the graduate school at UND, and see if I am accepted.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

kristine said...

Such a full plate - but you can take it!! We are so happy and excited and proud of you - it is rediculous! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

My dear sweet Katester.... Grannie is so proud of what you have accomplished so far and for you choices. You are smarter than you give yourself credit for. You will do just fine. When it is time to take the test in Fargo. Go in there with your head held high knowing that your family is right there beside you, take a deep breath and go for it.

We love you and know you'll do fine